My Greatest Fear - What's Yours?

What are you most fearful of?   What is it that gnaws at you … keeps you awake at night?  Maybe it is a lifelong fear or maybe it is something that you are dealing with or facing right now.

Hold that thought – we’ll come back to it in a moment.

Second question – Who or what defines your reality?

How we feel – Our emotions can define our reality in many ways.   Feeling “in love” is awesome!  Feeling “unwanted” – not so much.  Our emotions often distort our reality in such a way that we make foolish decisions and have suffer the consequences later.

What we think – Our minds – reason – defines our reality.   Most of the time, I fall into this category.  Never been much of an overly emotional guy – so I rely on my brain – my intellect – what I can perceive.   Honestly, this is more reliable than emotions – but even it has its limits.   No matter how smart or perceptive you are, you are limited to the knowledge you have – and you don’t know everything. 

What others say -  Believe it or not, there are plenty of people that will define your reality for you.   They are quick to give advice.  They will tell you how to live your life, what you should do, what you should think and even what you should believe.   Some are well meaning and other’s, not so much.

What God says – It would stand to reason He would be the most stable (no wildly vacillating emotions), logical (He knows everything), trustworthy (He does have your best in mind) source to turn to.

Now – back to the first question – What is your greatest fear?

Right now my greatest fear is not being able to provide for my family by doing what I love to do – teaching/preaching/helping people both here and internationally.

So – let’s work through this using my fear as an example.  

What defines the reality of how I respond to this fear?

How I feel – I am terrified.   I am embarrassed after providing for my family for years, but now I am not because of my own foolishness.   If I go by how I feel – I am a failure.  

What I think – I have come up with all kinds of plans, manipulations, and ideas of what to do.  I have always been a fixer – helped fix churches; helped fix people or helped fix situations.    I am good at it – part of having an analytical mind/eye and a firm grasp of God’s Word.   But truth be told – I can’t fix this.  That way you would have faith because of God's power and not because of human wisdom.” 1 Corinthians 2:5 (CEV)  

What Others Say – We both know that we can find someone who will tell us what we WANT to hear.  They make us “feel” better, but really won’t speak truth in our lives.   There are many that have encouraged me.  There are those that have abandoned me.  And there are a few that just wish I would disappear so they won’t ever have to be reminded of my existence again.  If I listen to some, I should just go on like nothing happened.   If I listen to others, I will spend the rest of my life with my head hung low in shame.   Again – some people are well meaning, some have selfish motives and a few are just ungodly.

Which leaves me with this:  What Does God Say about my situation?

God always deals with sin.  When He does, He always offers forgiveness, hope and restoration after there is repentance.   Now consequences of that sin may remain, but that is for God to determine, not man.

This is the process that is on display when David is confronted with his sin in 2 Samuel 11-12.
  • David is confronted about his sin by Nathan
  • David immediately confesses his sin to Nathan and to God
  • A pronouncement of judgment from God is spoken by Nathan as well as a pronouncement of forgiveness  -  part of that judgment is near term other part long term
  • The near term judgment from God is the sickness/death of the child conceived with Bathsheba.
  • David begged God to spare this judgment, spare the child – stopped eating for days while laying prostrate on the ground.
  • God chose not to respond to David’s prayers and the child died.
  • Upon hearing of the death of his child, David got up, bathed, put on his royal robes and went into the Tabernacle and worshipped God.
  • Afterwards he went to the Palace and ate.   
  • His advisers were amazed.   He did not respond how they thought he should.
  • David replied, “I asked God to intervene. He chose not to. There is nothing I can do that will change the past.”  (my paraphrase)
  • After that, even knowing the long term consequences Nathan told him would follow his household because of his sin, David got up and started living his life again.   God blessed his life – even blessing David, while never removing the long term judgment He had placed on him.  There was much left for David to accomplish in life.  God had not given up on him.

There is a time for everything.  I realize that things in my life, my ministry may never been the same.  I cannot go back and change things.   However, I will not dress in sackcloth and simply mourn at my loss for the rest of my life.   I am at the time where it is a time to eat, to worship and get on with life.   There is much left to accomplish in life.   God has not given up on me.

So as to what God says about sin after repentance?

Micah 7:18-20 (NIV)  Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.  You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.  You will be true to Jacob, and show mercy to Abraham, as you pledged on oath to our fathers in days long ago.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (NLT)  For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!  So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

Romans 8:1-2 (NLT)  So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.  And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.

Alright – What does God say about providing for my family?

Philippians 4:19 (NLT)  And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:23-24 (NLT)  Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.

Philippians 4:4 (NLT)  Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!

So the question is, where will I look for guidance to face my fears?  What will I place my confidence in as I wake up for another day or face another challenge?

Psalm 42:5 (NLT)  Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior.

Psalm 25:4-5 (NLT)  Show me the right path, O LORD; point out the road for me to follow.  Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Proverbs 20:24 (NLT)  The LORD directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?

Romans 8:6 (NLT)  So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.

Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT)  For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

Romans 4:20-21 (NLT)  Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God.  He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.

Deuteronomy 7:9 (NLT)  Understand, therefore, that the LORD your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands.

Isaiah 42:16 (NLT)  I will lead blind Israel down a new path, guiding them along an unfamiliar way. I will brighten the darkness before them and smooth out the road ahead of them. Yes, I will indeed do these things; I will not forsake them.

Isaiah 58:8 (NLT)  “Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the LORD will protect you from behind.

Romans 15:13 (NLT)  I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Now – this is important.   Please understand – I am still struggling.   Knowing “this” and doing “this” are two totally different things.    I know what God’s Word has to say, but I still “feel” “think” and “listen.”   So even in my faith – I vacillate.   

I am like the man in Mark 9 who tells Jesus, “I believe, but help my unbelief.”

So – I have to constantly remind myself of the promises of God.   It is transforming my mind.  I must be constantly reminded – constantly readjusting my attitude and expectations.

Romans 12:1-2 (NLT)  And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.  Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

So now … I work, I plan, I reason, I listen but ultimately, I KNOW that I am totally dependent upon God and His timing to provide for my family.  It starts with me ingesting His Word into my mind.   It starts with prayer.  It starts with seeking Him in all I do.   It starts in serving Him as I seek to provide for my family each day.  When it starts with Him - there is a peace. When it starts with my emotions, my intellect or others - there is no peace until I stop and seek Him.

Psalm 119:49-50 (NLT)  Remember your promise to me; it is my only hope.  Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles.

Romans 15:13 (NLT)  I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)  We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

Please pray for me … I believe – but I need the Lord to help me with my unbelief.

Now …. What was you greatest fear again?   What does God say about it?




No comments: