God As A Refuge

Before you read further – honestly answer/ponder these questions.

Where to you turn for relief?
When the world closes in – what do you “escape” to?
Where or to what do you turn for strength in times of trouble?
What do you place your hope – your confidence in?

The Psalmist tells us the God is available as a Refuge.

Psalm 46:1-3 (NLT)  God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.  So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.  Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge! Interlude

There are several words used in Psalms that are translated “Refuge.”  Here is just a few – but it provides a great word picture as to what is available for the person that follows God.

Biblical Definition of Refuge

Place of ProtectionPsalm 11:1
Place of Help in Troubled TimesPsalm 46:1-11
Place of SafetyPsalm 91:2
Place of Hope and TrustIsaiah 25:4-5

Description of Refuge in Psalm

Psalm 62:5-8 (NLT)  Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken.  My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.  O my people, trust in him at all times. Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge. Interlude

Observations:

Psalm 62:5 (NIV)  Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.

All that I am” - totality.    A double minded man is unstable in all that he does.   James 1:8
Wait quietly” – lack of panic – a peaceful confidence
Why a peaceful confidence?  “For my hope is in Him

Psalm 62:6 (NIV)  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

He Alone” – Again no split allegiance – No plan B
Rock” – strength                       
Salvation” – deliverance, aid, victory
Fortress” – Defense, refuge, high tower
I will not be shaken” – stability in unstable times

Psalm 62:7 (NIV)  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Salvation and honor depend on God” – God is where our defense – our strength lies.   What does your salvation and honor depend on?

Psalm 62:8 (NIV)  Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah

Trust” – Confidence, security
Pour out your hearts” -  let your heart – your understanding gush out to Him.
“God is our Refuge”

Why Don’t We Run to this Refuge?  Why Do We Resist is So Much?

This “Refuge” is available to anyone who follows God.   Honestly, this Refuge is available to those who are living in rebellion against God too!   It is there – it is available.  Then why don’t we instinctively utilize the refuge that God has provided?

I don’t know your reasons – but here are mine.   I think I can fix it myself.   Rather than depending on God – I depend on my intellect – my wits – my experience – my “wisdom” – my talent …. You get the idea.   It is not that I think I am smarted than God – it is just that I choose a path that I think is best and jump into action without looking to Him first.  It may not be a bad path – but seldom if ever is it the best.

I resist being dependent.   I know that we a followers of Christ have a head knowledge that we are dependent on God for everything – but we also believe that we can “handle this” or “endure this” on our own.   So rather than run to the “Refuge” that God provides, we stay out and battle, work, solve, endure, scheme and live out of our own power rather than find the peace and power God provides.

1 Corinthians 2:5 (NIV)  So that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

And then we wonder why we are so frustrated and defeated by life.   We wonder why we are always dominated by the circumstances of life rather than confident through them.   Could it be the very thing we pray for has already been provided by God?    Peace – Security – Rest – Confidence all found in God’s Refuge?  

Why don’t you enter in to the Refuge God is offering?

How Can We Run to the Refuge?

Entering in His Refuge is a state of mind.  It is an attitude.   It is a focus.    It is a choice.

Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)  Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We change the way we view and handle life by taking time reading His Word.   I know … I know …. You have heard it a million times – read the Bible!   But it is true.   Why?   The Bible is God’s Resume.   It is His track record.   It tells you what He has done.  It tells you what He will do.   It gives you understanding how He has designed life to be lived.   If you don’t have a version of the Bible you understand – find one!   There are many out there that are true representations of the original languages but are written in ways you can understand.  

Spend time reading about Jesus (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John).   Spend time reading wisdom literature (Proverbs and James).   Spend time reading the lyrics to songs written about God (The Psalms).  The only way you can learn more about God is to read about Him and ask Him to speak to you – to reveal Himself to you.

Bring ever thought captive   2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV)  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

We have a choice as to what we think about.   We have a choice as to what we focus on.   Choose to think about Him – His greatness rather than the difficulty of your circumstances.  Entering the Refuge may be as simple as a whispered prayer saying, “God I can’t – it is all up to you.   Help me God.”   (God likes short prayers)

Another way to enter into the Refuge is to Sing!!!  Sing about His Love!   Sing about Him!

Psalm 59:16-17 (NIV)  But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.  O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.

Why do we Sing?
Sing to remind ourselves of the goodness of God
Sing to remind ourselves of the closeness of God
Sing to remind us of what God has done and what He wants to do
Sing to express our heart’s cry to God
Sing for He is worthy of our songs

God is waiting.  When you are overwhelmed – when you need His Protection – His Strength – His Direction – Call to Him.   Focus your mind – your thoughts on Him.   Sing to Him.  Sing about Him.  Enter the Refuge.   Trust Him.

No comments: